Foundation Apprenticeship in Information Technology Software Development (SCQF level 6)
Foundation Apprenticeships prepare you for the world of work giving you more choices when you leave school:
- You get real life work experience with employers gaining the skills that employers want.
- You learn on the job, gaining qualifications which fast track you on to a Modern Apprenticeship giving you a head start.
- You get an industry accredited qualification alongside school qualifications which enhance College or UCAS application.
- You may take studies to a higher level, earn while you learn, undertake a Modern/Graduate Apprenticeship.
Who is this for?
The Foundation Apprenticeship in Information Technology Software Development is designed to provide young people with opportunities to develop skills and knowledge for entry into a career in the IT sector. It also contributes directly to achievement of the Modern Apprenticeship in IT and Telecoms by attainment of the core units of the MA qualification.
Roles in Software Development would suit individuals who have an interest in design and creativity, with good attention to detail, have a mathematical or analytical mind and have good logical reasoning and problem solving skills. Apprenticeship roles within the IT and Telecoms sector require:
- Individuals to be proactive, fast learners; able to work both in a team and sometimes alone.
- The ability to focus on assisting customers and colleagues find solutions to problems.
- The ability to work logically and methodically, often under pressure to set deadlines.
- Good attention to detail and the ability to deliver what is required, when it is required.
- Individuals to be open to change and focus on the requirements of the business at all times.
The Foundation Apprenticeship in Information Technology Software Development is offered to pupils in S5 over two years who are looking to supplement school study with an industry recognised qualification. You will spend part of the week out of school developing skills and knowledge across a range of topics at college and getting hands-on experience with an employer. You must have the ability to study at SCQF level 6 (higher equivalent), meet entry requirements and have a desire to develop a career in Information Technology.
What qualifications will I gain?
The Foundation Apprenticeship is certificated by SQA. On successful completion you will achieve a Joint Qualification Certificate for the Foundation Apprenticeship in Information Technology Software Development (GL54 46). This is a group award at SCQF level 6 which comprises:
National Progression Award in Software Development
- Computing Applications: Development
- Computing: Authoring a Website
- Software Design and Development
Diploma for IT & Telecommunications Professionals (part of)
- Personal Effectiveness 2
- Health and Safety in IT & Telecom
- Investigating and Defining Customer Requirements for IT & Telecoms Systems 2
- Data Modelling 1
- One from:
- Event Driven computer Programming 2
- Procedural Programming 2
- Object Oriented Computer Programming 2
Am I eligible?
- Intending to leave school at the end of S6 with minimum of one or more Highers in relevant subject area.
- Achieved or working towards Higher (A-C) in relevant subjects – Information Technology, Maths, Computing Science etc. by end of S6
- Must have an interest in developing greater awareness of the industry with a potential desire to pursue as a career.
- Must be capable of working at level 6 (Higher) over S5 and S6.
Foundation Apprenticeships provide the foundation elements of a Modern Apprenticeship. If a young person goes on to a Modern Apprenticeship they won't have to repeat the parts they have already completed, reducing the time it takes to com-plete the training. There are several progression routes for a young person who successfully completes a Foundation Apprenticeship in Information Technology Software Development:
- Go straight into a job within IT sector.
- Gain accelerated entry onto the Modern Apprenticeship in IT and Telecoms at SCQF Level 6
- Continue to study at college or university
- Explore options for a related Graduate Level Apprenticeship
- Location: City of Glasgow College, City Campus and Glasgow Clyde College, Cardonald Campus
- Duration: * Two years (August-June)
- Attendance: Year 1: Tuesday & Thursday (1:30pm -4:30pm) at College plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
Year 2: Thursday (9:30am -4:30pm) split between Work Placement and College plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
* Pupils do not attend College/Work Placement during SQA exam schedule
How do I apply?
To apply for a Foundation Apprenticeship place, you should complete the online application form on www.fapglasgow.scot. You will be asked to indicate the subjects you are studying with anticipated grades across S4/S5/S6 together with a short personal statement on why you are interested in applying. A representative of your school will also be required to complete a short reference and verify your details before submission.
To download this guide, click here