Foundation Apprenticeship in Social Services and Healthcare (SCQF level 6)
Foundation Apprenticeships prepare you for the world of work giving you more choices when you leave school:
- You get real life work experience with employers gaining the skills that employers want.
- You learn on the job, gaining qualifications which fast track you on to a Modern Apprenticeship giving you a head start.
- You get an industry accredited qualification alongside school qualifications which enhance College or UCAS application.
- You may take studies to a higher level, earn while you learn, undertake a Modern/Graduate Apprenticeship.
Who is this for?
Social services is a challenging and rewarding career. Social service workers provide support and help to people who need it, helping them to live full and valued lives in the community. Social service workers can work with a variety of people from all different backgrounds and of all abilities. Social service workers include people working in social work and in social care settings such as care home services for adults and community care, and in early years settings such as nurseries or out of school care clubs. Job roles in adult services include personal assistant, care assistant, support worker, supervisor, senior care worker, team leader, care home manager, centre manager and service manager. Job roles in children’s services include play or nursery assistant, play leader, nursery officer, childhood practitioner, and out of school co-ordinator.
The Foundation Apprenticeship in Social Services and Healthcare is for S6 pupils over one year and S5 over two years who are looking to supplement school study with an industry recognised qualification. Pupils will spend part of the week out of school developing skills and knowledge across a range of topics at college and getting hands-on experience with an employer. You must have the ability to study at SCQF level 6 (higher equivalent), meet entry requirements and have a desire to develop a career in Social Services and Healthcare. You will also be required to undergo a PVG check as you will be working with vulnerable individuals.
What qualifications will I gain?
The Foundation Apprenticeship is certificated by SQA. On successful completion you will achieve a Joint Qualification Certificate for the Foundation Apprenticeship in Social Services and Healthcare (GL52 46). This is a group award at SCQF level 6 which comprises:
National Progression Award in Social Services and Healthcare
- Social Services in Scotland
- Safeguarding People
- Communication in Care Relationships
- Safe Practice and Wellbeing in Social Services
- Human Development and Social Influences
SVQ in Social Services and Healthcare (part of)
- Support effective communication
- Support the health and safety of yourself and individuals
- Develop your own knowledge and practice
- Support the safeguarding of individuals
Am I eligible?
- Intending to leave school at the end of S6 with minimum of one or more Highers in relevant subject area.
- Achieved or working towards Higher English (A-C) by end of S6.
- Must have an interest in developing greater awareness of the industry with a potential desire to pursue as a career.
- Must be capable of working at level 6 (Higher) over S5 and S6.
- PVG check required.
There are several progression routes for a young person who completes a Foundation Apprenticeship in Social Services and Healthcare:
- Gain accelerated entry into related Modern Apprenticeship.
- Opportunity to enter the workforce as a practitioner in adult care. Certification at SVQ Level 2 (SCQF Level 6) qualifies apprentices to act in support roles, at SVQ Level 3 (SCQF Level 7) as practitioners and at SVQ Level 4 (SCQF Level 8) as supervisors/managers. Gaining the further award of the SVQ in Leadership and Management in Care Services qualifies workers to act as managers in these services. The Frameworks allow progression through these levels and/or transfer into the Children and Young People career route.
- Study at College or University
- S5 Entry
- Location: Glasgow Clyde College, Anniesland and Cardonald Campus
- Duration: * Two years (August-June)
- Attendance: Year 1: Tuesday & Thursday (1:30pm -4:30pm) at College plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
- Year 2: Thursday (9:30am -4:30pm) split between Work Placement and College plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
- S6 Entry
- Location: City of Glasgow College, City Campus
- Duration: * One year, two full days (August-June)
- Attendance: Week 1-7, Tuesday and Thursday at College (9:30am-4:30pm), week 8-30 Tuesday in College and Thursday in Work Placement (9:30am-4:30pm) plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
* Pupils do not attend College/Work Placement during SQA exam schedule
How do I apply?
To apply for a Foundation Apprenticeship place, you should complete the online application form on www.fapglasgow.scot. You will be asked to indicate the subjects you are studying with anticipated grades across S4/S5/S6 together with a short personal statement on why you are interested in applying. A representative of your school will also be required to complete a short reference and verify your details before submission.
To download this guide, click here