Foundation Apprenticeship in Food and Drink Technologies (SCQF Level 6)
Foundation Apprenticeships prepare you for the world of work giving you more choices when you leave school:
- You get real life work experience with employers gaining the skills that employers want.
- You learn on the job, gaining qualifications which fast track you on to a Modern Apprenticeship giving you a head start.
- You get an industry accredited qualification alongside school qualifications which enhance College or UCAS application.
- You may take studies to a higher level, earn while you learn, undertake a Modern/Graduate Apprenticeship.
Who is this for?
The Foundation Apprenticeship in Food and Drink Technologies is a 2 year course open to pupils entering S5 looking to supplement school study with an industry recognised qualification. Students will gain 5 units of the Modern Apprenticeship at SCQF Level 6 in Food and Drink Operations, supported by the National Progression Award in Food Manufacture at SCQF Level 6, which develops an understanding of the principles, structure, processes and procedures used in the Food and Drink Manufacturing industry. In addition to courses in Health & Safety and Food Hygiene at SCQF Level 5, Foundation Apprentices will have the skills and knowledge to progress into employment within the food and drink sector, onto a Modern Apprenticeships in Food and Drink Operations with advanced entry, or a Food and Drink route within Higher Education. You will spend part of the week out of school developing skills and knowledge across a range of topics at college and getting hands-on experience with an employer. You must have the ability to study at SCQF level 6 (higher equivalent), meet entry requirements and have a desire to develop a career in Food and Drink Technologies.
What qualifications will I gain?
The Foundation Apprenticeship is certificated by SQA. On successful completion you will achieve a Joint Qualification Certificate for the Foundation Apprenticeship in Food and Drink Technologies (GN26 46). This is a group award at SCQF level 6 which comprises:
National Progression Award in Food Manufacture at SCQF Level 6
- Food Manufacturing: Fundamentals of Food Science
- Food Manufacturing: Food Production
- Food Manufacturing: Commercial and Social Drivers
- Food Manufacturing: Sustainability
SVQ in Food and Drink Operations at SCQF Level 6 (part of)
- Develop Productive Working Relationships with Colleagues
- Interpret and Communicate Information and Data in Food and Drink Operations
- Contribute to Continuous Improvement of Food Safety in Manufacture
- Develop a New Product in a Food Business
- Promote and Support Creative Thinking in a Food Business
REHIS Elementary Food Hygiene
REHIS Elementary Health and Safety
REHIS Food Hygiene and Health & Safety courses are expected as standard in the industry and these qualifications are expected to both help learners undertake their work placement and increase employability.
Am I eligible?
- Intending to leave school at the end of S6 with minimum of one or more Highers in relevant subject area.
- Achieved or working towards Higher (A-C) in relevant subject areas by end of S6.
- Must have an interest in developing greater awareness of the industry with a potential desire to pursue as a career.
- Must be capable of working at level 6 (Higher) over S5 and S6.
There are several progression routes for a young person who completes a Foundation Apprenticeship in Food and Drink Technologies:
- Modern Apprenticeship in Food and Drink Operations at SCQF Level 6
- Higher National Certificate/Diploma in Food Science and Technology
- Higher Education Studies at University
- Location: City of Glasgow College, City Campus
- Duration: * Two years (August-June)
- Attendance Year 1: Tuesday & Thursday (1:30pm-4:30pm) at College plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
- Year 2: Thursday (9:30am-4:30pm) split between Work Placement and College plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
* Pupils do not attend College/Work Placement during SQA exam schedule
How do I apply?
To apply for a Foundation Apprenticeship place, you should complete the online application form on www.fapglasgow.scot. You will be asked to indicate the subjects you are studying with anticipated grades across S4/S5/S6 together with a short personal statement on why you are interested in applying. A representative of your school will also be required to complete a short reference and verify your details before submission.
To download this guide, click here