Foundation Apprenticeship in Financial Services (SCQF level 6)
Foundation Apprenticeships prepare you for the world of work giving you more choices when you leave school:
- You get real life work experience with employers gaining the skills that employers want.
- You learn on the job, gaining qualifications which fast track you on to a Modern Apprenticeship giving you a head start.
- You get an industry accredited qualification alongside school qualifications which enhance College or UCAS application.
- You may take studies to a higher level, earn while you learn, undertake a Modern/Graduate Apprenticeship.
Who is this for?
The Foundation Apprenticeship in Financial Services is designed to provide young people with the opportunity to develop skills and knowledge for entry into a career in Financial Services. It also helps you to gain the core units of the Modern Apprenticeship in Providing Financial Services at SVQ level 3 , leaving you with fewer units to complete if you were to progress onto a Modern Apprenticeship
Financial services is a challenging and rewarding career. The financial services industry has a long history of attracting energetic and ambitious people who are looking for the best career opportunities. Compared to other industries, financial services firms tend to place less weight on seniority in judging the readiness of employees for advancement. High performers can move ahead regardless of age, making this industry particularly attractive for ambitious young people and the compensation structures tend to be more generous than other industries.
The Foundation Apprenticeship in Financial Services is a 2 year course open to pupils entering S5 looking to supplement school study with an industry recognised qualification. You will spend part of the week out of school developing skills and knowledge across a range of topics at college and getting hands-on experience with an employer. You must have the ability to study at SCQF level 6 (higher equivalent), meet entry requirements and have a desire to develop a career in Financial Services.
What qualifications will I gain?
The Foundation Apprenticeship is certificated by SQA. On successful completion you will achieve a Joint Qualification Certificate for the Foundation Apprenticeship in Financial Services (GL53 46). This is a group award at SCQF level 6 which comprises:
National Progression Award in Financial Services
- Financial Services: An Introduction
- Financial Services: The Regulatory Framework
- Financial Services: Communication
- Financial Services: Promoting Positive Customer Relationships
- Financial Services: Personal Finance Awareness
- Work Placement
SVQ in Providing Financial Services (part of)
- Develop yourself to improve and maintain workplace competence in a financial services environment
- Develop productive working relationships in a financial services environment
- Ensure you comply with regulations in the financial services environment
Am I eligible?
- Intending to leave school at the end of S6 with minimum of one or more Highers in relevant subject area.
- Achieved or working towards Higher (A-C) in relevant subjects – Economics, Accounts, Business etc. by end of S6
- Must have an interest in developing greater awareness of the industry with a potential desire to pursue as a career.
- Must be capable of working at level 6 (Higher) over S5 and S6.
There are several progression routes for a young person who completes a Foundation Apprenticeship in Financial Services:
- Gain accelerated entry onto related Modern Apprenticeship.
- Explore options for related Technical or Graduate Apprenticeship.
- Direct employment within financial services sector.
- Study at College or University.
- Location: City of Glasgow College, City Campus & Glasgow Clyde College, Cardonald Campus
- Duration: * Two years (August-June)
- Attendance: Year 1: Tuesday & Thursday (1:30pm-4:30pm) at College plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
- Year 2: Thursday (9:30am-4:30pm) split between Work Placement and College plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
* Pupils do not attend College/Work Placement during SQA exam schedule
How do I apply?
To apply for a Foundation Apprenticeship place, you should complete the online application form on www.fapglasgow.scot. You will be asked to indicate the subjects you are studying with anticipated grades across S4/S5/S6 together with a short personal statement on why you are interested in applying. A representative of your school will also be required to complete a short reference and verify your details before submission.
To download this guide, click here