Foundation Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media (SCQF level 6)
Foundation Apprenticeships prepare you for the world of work giving you more choices when you leave school:
- You get real life work experience with employers gaining the skills that employers want.
- You learn on the job, gaining qualifications which fast track you on to a Modern Apprenticeship giving you a head start.
- You get an industry accredited qualification alongside school qualifications which enhance College or UCAS application.
- You may take studies to a higher level, earn while you learn, undertake a Modern/Graduate Apprenticeship.
Who is this for?
The Foundation Apprenticeship (FA) in Creative and Digital Media is a 2 year course open to pupils entering 5th year looking to supplement school study with an industry recognised qualification. Pupils will spend part of the week out of school developing skills and knowledge across a range of topics at college and getting hands-on experience with an employer. You must have the ability to study at SCQF level 6 (higher equivalent), meet entry requirements and have a desire to develop a career in Creative Industries. In S5, young people complete a National Progression Award (NPA) at SCQF level 6. This includes knowledge units that support pupils to develop an understanding of the technologies, processes and practices used within the Creative Industries. In S6, pupils complete 4 units of the Diploma in Creative Digital Media all leading to the Media Project which will complement the workplace experience and will be used for the industry challenge project. These three parts, along with associated work placement, form the Foundation Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media.
Creative & Digital Media encompasses the range of creative roles where interactive media storytelling and commerce collide. The utilisation of creative digital content to enable either a product of another service such as marketing, advertising or information gathering, offers a vast array of job roles ranging from pure creative to more technical and data-driven responsibilities. A career in Creative and Digital Media is a challenging and rewarding career. Depending on what your interests and skills are, there are roles across the industries that might be right for you, such as:
- Creative Games Artist, Fashion Designer, Art Director.
- Communicator Copywriter, Script Editor, Commissioning Editor.
- Maker Carpenter, Tailor, Props.
- Entrepreneur Start your own company, Development Executive.
- Science Textile Technologist, Data Analyst, Financial Controller.
- Engineer Broadcast Engineer, Production Engineer.
- Technologist App Developer, Render Wrangler, Creative Technologist.
- Organiser Account Director, Radio Traffic Manager.
What qualifications will I gain?
The Foundation Apprenticeship is certificated by SQA. On successful completion you will achieve a Joint Qualification Certificate for the Foundation Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media (GM69 46). This is a group award at SCQF level 6 which comprises:
National Progression Award in Creative and Digital Media: Technologies, Processes and Practices
- Creative Industries: An Introduction – Scotland
- Creative Industries: Understanding a Creative Brief
- Media: Understanding the creative process
- Storytelling for the Creative Industries
Diploma in Creative Digital Media (part of)
- Work effectively with others in the Creative Industries
- Ensure Your Own Actions Reduce Risks to Health and Safety
- Communicating Using Digital Marketing/Sales Channels
- Use Digital and Social Media in Marketing Campaigns
Industry Challenge Project
Am I eligible?
- Intending to leave school at the end of S6 with minimum of one or more Highers in relevant subject area.
- Achieved or working towards Higher (A-C) in relevant subject areas—IT, English, Maths etc. by end of S6.
- Must have an interest in developing greater awareness of the industry with a potential desire to pursue as a career.
- Must be capable of working at level 6 (Higher) over S5 and S6.
There are several progression routes for a young person who completes a Foundation Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media:
- Gain accelerated entry into related Modern Apprenticeship.
- Direct employment within the industry or become a freelancer.
- Continue study at College or University.
- Location: Students rotate across Glasgow's three college for the first 24 weeks in Year 1, culminating in the Media Project for the last 6 weeks
- Duration: * Two years (August-June)
- Attendance: Year 1: Tuesday & Thursday (1:30pm-4:30pm) at College plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
Year 2: Thursday (9:30am-4:30pm) split between Work Placement and College plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
* Pupils do not attend College/Work Placement during SQA exam schedule
How do I apply?
To apply for a Foundation Apprenticeship place, you should complete the online application form on www.fapglasgow.scot. You will be asked to indicate the subjects you are studying with anticipated grades across S4/S5/S6 together with a short personal statement on why you are interested in applying. A representative of your school will also be required to complete a short reference and verify your details before submission.
To download this guide, click here