Glasgow Kelvin College, Springburn Campus
SCQF Level 6
All day Tuesday and Friday at college.
All day Thursday shared between college and work placement.
Civil Engineers and Technicians play a pivotal role in society and are fundamental to all aspects of the built environment, from the design and construction of iconic structures to the provision of underground services.
As well as achieving a National Certificate (NC) in Civil Engineering, you will commence your SVQ level 3 Site Technical Support portfolio and you will gain valuable work experience whilst undertaking work placements. By the end of the programme, you will have completed common units of the Modern Apprenticeship and significantly enhanced your employability skills.
This Foundation Apprenticeship course allows you to develop the skills required by modern professional Civil Engineering Technicians, and provides an insight to the many career options available. You will study the principles and practices utilised by engineers and consultancy teams working in the fields of renewable energy, roads and bridges, floods alleviation, commercial buildings, marine works and environmental protection.
Candidates intending to leave school at the end of S6 with minimum of one or more Highers. Essential criteria as follows:
- Achieved National 5 Maths, Physics or Chemistry (A-C) by end of S5
- Achieved or working towards Higher Maths, Physics or Chemistry (A-C) by end of S6
National Certificate in Civil Engineering
• Civil Engineering Materials
• Civil Engineering Project
• Civil Engineering Site Work
• Civil Engineering Technology
• Computer Aided Drafting: An Introduction
• Construction Site Surveying: An Introduction • Health and Safety in the Construction Industry • Mathematics: Craft 1
• Mechanics for Construction: An Introduction
• Mathematics for Construction technicians
• Construction Project Management: An Introduction • Sustainability in the Construction Industry
SVQ Level 3 Site Technical Support Portfolio (Part of)
• Modern Apprenticeship in Engineering Disciplines
• HNC/D in Engineering related subjects
• Graduate apprenticeship