Foundation Apprenticeship in Civil Engineering (SCQF level 6)
Foundation Apprenticeships prepare you for the world of work giving you more choices when you leave school:
- You get real life work experience with employers gaining the skills that employers want.
- You learn on the job, gaining qualifications which fast track you on to a Modern Apprenticeship giving you a head start.
- You get an industry accredited qualification alongside school qualifications which enhance College or UCAS application.
- You may take studies to a higher level, earn while you learn, undertake a Modern/Graduate Apprenticeship.
Who is this for?
Civil Engineers and Civil Engineering Technicians play a pivotal role and are fundamental to all aspects of the built environment, from the design and construction of iconic structures to the provision of underground services. The Foundation Apprenticeship (FA) in Civil Engineering is designed to provide young people with the opportunity to gain valuable work experience and industry-recognised qualifications alongside their senior school education. The FA introduces the skills necessary for the modern professional Civil Engineering Technician and provide an insight to the many career options available. The FA has been recognised as a formal route into a professional career by industry bodies including the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) and the Civil Engineering Contractors Association (CECA).
The Foundation Apprenticeship in Civil Engineering is a 2 year course open to young people entering S5 looking to supplement school study with an industry recognised qualification. You will spend part of the week out of school developing skills and knowledge across a range of topics at college and getting hands-on experience with an employer. You must have the ability to study at SCQF level 6 (higher equivalent), meet entry requirements and have a desire to develop a career within the Construction sector.
What qualifications will I gain?
The Foundation Apprenticeship is certificated by SQA. On successful completion you will achieve a Joint Qualification Certificate for the Foundation Apprenticeship in Civil Engineering (GL51 46). This is a group award at SCQF level 6 which comprises:
- National Certificate in Civil Engineering (SCQF level 6)
- SVQ unit Develop and Maintain Working Relationships and Personal Development in Construction and/or
- SVQ unit Maintain professional relationships and practice in built environment design
This Foundation Apprenticeship provides you with achievement from component parts of two related Modern Apprenticeships sitting within CITB’s Modern Apprenticeship Frameworks, Civil Engineering contracting or consultancy.
In addition, young people should be registered with the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) or other Professional Institution as a student member. Throughout the duration of both the Foundation and Modern Apprenticeship the pupil will be aiming to become a Technician Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (TMICE).
Am I eligible?
- Intending to leave school at the end of S6 with minimum of one or more Highers in relevant subject area.
- Achieved or working towards Higher Maths, Physics or Chemistry (A-C) by end of S6.
- Must have an interest in developing greater awareness of the industry with a potential desire to pursue as a career.
- Must be capable of working at level 6 (Higher) over S5 and S6.
There are several progression routes for a young person who completes a Foundation Apprenticeship in Civil Engineering:
- Gain accelerated entry into 2nd year of related Modern Apprenticeship.
- Explore options for related Graduate Apprenticeship.
- Direct employment within the construction sector.
- Study at College or University.
- Location: Glasgow Kelvin College, Springburn Campus
- Duration: * Two years (August-June)
- Attendance Year 1: Tuesday & Thursday (1:30pm-4:30pm) at College, plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
Year 2: Week 1-2, Tuesday & Thursday (9:30am-4:30pm) in College
Week 3 onwards, Tuesday College, Thursday Work Placement (9:30am-4:30pm)
Plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
* Pupils do not attend College/Work Placement during SQA exam schedule
How do I apply?
To apply for a Foundation Apprenticeship place, you should complete the online application form on www.fapglasgow.scot. You will be asked to indicate the subjects you are studying with anticipated grades across S4/S5/S6 together with a short personal statement on why you are interested in applying. A representative of your school will also be required to complete a short reference and verify your details before submission.
To download this guide, click here