Foundation Apprenticeship in Social Services Children & Young People (SCQF level 6)
Foundation Apprenticeships prepare you for the world of work giving you more choices when you leave school:
- You get real life work experience with employers gaining the skills that employers want.
- You learn on the job, gaining qualifications which fast track you on to a Modern Apprenticeship giving you a head start.
- You get an industry accredited qualification alongside school qualifications which enhance College or UCAS application.
- You may take studies to a higher level, earn while you learn, undertake a Modern/Graduate Apprenticeship.
Who is this for?
The Foundation Apprenticeship in Social Services Children and Young People aims to give pupils the opportunity to develop skills and knowledge to work towards a career in children’s social services. It also help pupils to gain core units of the Modern Apprenticeship (MA) at SVQ level 2 in Social Services Children and Young People, leaving them with fewer units to complete if they start the MA programme. Pupils complete a National Progression Award (NPA) at SCQF level 6 which includes knowledge units that support pupils to develop an understanding of how children develop and learn, play and child protection. You also complete units of the SVQ 2 Social Services Children and Young People. The NPA provides knowledge and an introduction to the skills that will help pupils to complete the SVQ units. These two parts, along with associated work placement, form the Foundation Apprenticeship in Social Services Children and Young People.
The Foundation Apprenticeship in Social Services Children and Young People is offered to S6 over one year and S5 over two years who are looking to supplement school study with an industry recognised qualification. Pupils will spend part of the week out of school developing skills and knowledge across a range of topics at college and getting hands-on experience with an employer. You must have the ability to study at SCQF level 6 (higher equivalent), meet entry requirements and have a desire to develop a career in Social Services Children and Young People.
What qualifications will I gain?
The Foundation Apprenticeship is certificated by SQA. On successful completion you will achieve a Joint Qualification Certificate for the Foundation Apprenticeship in Social Services Children and Young People (GL7A 46). This is a group award at SCQF level 6 which comprises:
NPA Social Services, Children and Young People
- Play for Children and Young People
- Communication with children and young people
- Safeguarding of Children and Young People
- Promote the Wellbeing and Safety of Children and Young People
- Development of Children and Young People
SVQ2 in Social Services Children and Young People (part of)
- Support effective communication
- Support the health and safety of yourself and individuals
- Develop your own knowledge and practice
- Support the safeguarding of children
Am I eligible?
- Intending to leave school at the end of S6 with minimum of one or more Highers in relevant subject area.
- Achieved or working towards Higher English (A-C) by end of S6.
- Must have an interest in developing greater awareness of the industry with a potential desire to pursue as a career.
- Must be capable of working at level 6 (Higher) over S5 and S6.
- PVG check required
There are several progression routes for a young person who completes a Foundation Apprenticeship in social services Children and Young People:
- Gain accelerated entry into related Modern Apprenticeship.
- Opportunity to enter the workforce as a practitioner in day care of children services and work towards an SVQ 3 in Social Services Children and Young People.
- Study at College or University
- S5 Entry
- Location: Glasgow Clyde College, Cardonald and Langside Campus & Glasgow Kelvin College, Blairtummock Campus
- Duration: * Two years (August-June)
- Attendance: Year 1: Tuesday & Thursday (1:30pm -4:30pm) at College plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
- Year 2: Thursday (9:30am -4:30pm) split between Work Placement and College plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
- S6 Entry
- Location: City of Glasgow College, City Campus & Glasgow Kelvin College, Blairtummock Campus
- Duration: * One year, two full days (August-June)
- Attendance: College: Week 1-7 Tuesday and Thursday at College(9:30am-4:30pm), week 8-30 Tuesday at College and Thursday at Work Placement (9:30am-4:30pm) plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
* Pupils do not attend College/Work Placement during SQA exam schedule
How do I apply?
To apply for a Foundation Apprenticeship place, you should complete the online application form on www.fapglasgow.scot. You will be asked to indicate the subjects you are studying with anticipated grades across S4/S5/S6 together with a short personal statement on why you are interested in applying. A representative of your school will also be required to complete a short reference and verify your details before submission.
To download this guide, click here