Foundation Apprenticeship in Business Skills (SCQF level 6)
Foundation Apprenticeships prepare you for the world of work giving you more choices when you leave school:
- You get real life work experience with employers gaining the skills that employers want.
- You learn on the job, gaining qualifications which fast track you on to a Modern Apprenticeship giving you a head start.
- You get an industry accredited qualification alongside school qualifications which enhance College or UCAS application.
- You may take studies to a higher level, earn while you learn, undertake a Modern/Graduate Apprenticeship.
Who is this for?
The Foundation Apprenticeship (FA) in Business Skills is designed to provide young people with the opportunity to develop skills and knowledge for entry into a career in the Business sector. It also contributes directly to achievement of the Modern Apprenticeship (MA) in Business & Administration by attainment of core units of the MA qualification. The FA in Business Skills is a 2 year course open to pupils entering S5 looking to supplement school study with an industry recognised qualification. You will spend part of the week out of school developing skills and knowledge across a range of topics at college and getting hands-on experience with an employer. You must have the ability to study at SCQF level 6 (higher equivalent), meet entry requirements and have a desire to develop a career in Business.
What qualifications will I gain?
The Foundation Apprenticeship is certificated by SQA. On successful completion you will achieve a Joint Qualification Certificate for the Foundation Apprenticeship in Business Skills (GL8J 46). This is a group award at SCQF level 6 which comprises:
National Progression Award in Business Skills
- Understanding Business
- Management of People and Finance
- PC Passport: Working with IT Software - Word Processing and Presenting Information
- PC Passport: Working with IT Software - Spreadsheet and Database
- Contemporary Business Issues
- Work Placement
SVQ in Business and Administration (part of)
- Plan how to manage own performance in a business environment
- Communicate in a business environment
- Support other people to work in a business environment
- Design and produce documents in a business environment
Am I eligible?
- Intending to leave school at the end of S6 with minimum of one or more Highers in relevant subject area.
- Achieved or working towards Higher (A-C) in relevant subject areas – Economics, Accounts, Business etc by end of S6.
- Must have an interest in developing greater awareness of the industry with a potential desire to pursue as a career.
- Must be capable of working at level 6 (Higher) over S5 and S6.
There are several progression routes for a young person who completes a Foundation Apprenticeship in Business Skills:
- Gain accelerated entry into related Modern Apprenticeship.
- SVQ 4 Business & Admin, Management or other professional qualifications (SCQF level 7 and above).
- Direct employment with a business employer in a related industry such as digital marketing, procurement, or enterprise.
- Continue study at College or University.
- Location: City of Glasgow College, City Campus
- Duration: * Two years (August-June)
- Attendance Year 1: Tuesday & Thursday (1:30pm-4:30pm) at College plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
- Year 2: Thursday (9:30am-4:30pm) split between Work Placement and College plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
* Pupils do not attend College/Work Placement during SQA exam schedule
How do I apply?
To apply for a Foundation Apprenticeship place, you should complete the online application form on www.fapglasgow.scot. You will be asked to indicate the subjects you are studying with anticipated grades across S4/S5/S6 together with a short personal statement on why you are interested in applying. A representative of your school will also be required to complete a short reference and verify your details before submission.
To download this guide, click here