Foundation Apprenticeship in Accountancy (SCQF Level 6)
Foundation Apprenticeships prepare you for the world of work giving you more choices when you leave school:
- You get real life work experience with employers gaining the skills that employers want.
- You learn on the job, gaining qualifications which fast track you on to a Modern Apprenticeship giving you a head start.
- You get an industry accredited qualification alongside school qualifications which enhance College or UCAS application.
- You may take studies to a higher level, earn while you learn, undertake a Modern/Graduate Apprenticeship.
Who is this for?
Accountants help individuals and organisations to keep track of their money, find new ways to grow their business and increase profitability. The Foundation Apprenticeship in Accountancy is a 2 year course open to pupils entering S5 looking to supplement school study with an industry recognised qualification. You will spend part of the week out of school developing skills and knowledge across a range of topics at college and getting hands-on experience with an employer. You must have the ability to study at SCQF level 6 (higher equivalent), meet entry requirements and have a desire to develop a career in Accountancy.
What qualifications will I gain?
The Foundation Apprenticeship is certificated by SQA. On successful completion you will achieve a Joint Qualification Certificate for the Foundation Apprenticeship in Accountancy. This is a group award at SCQF level 6 which comprises:
National Progression Award (NPA) in Accountancy
- Preparing Management Accounting Information
- Analysing Account information
- Preparing Financial Accounting Information
- Recording data in the ledger
- Professional values for accountancy
SVQ AAT Advanced Diploma in Accounting (part)
- Advanced Bookkeeping (AAT)
- Final Accounts preparation (AAT)
- Indirect Tax (AAT)
Am I eligible?
- Intending to leave school at the end of S6 with minimum of one or more Highers in relevant subject area.
- Achieved or working towards Higher (A-C) in relevant subject areas – Economics, Accounts, etc by end of S6.
- Must have an interest in developing greater awareness of the industry with a potential desire to pursue as a career.
- Must be capable of working at level 6 (Higher) over S5 and S6.
There are several progression routes for a young person who completes a Foundation Apprenticeship in Accountancy:
- Gain accelerated entry into Modern Apprenticeship in Accounting.
- Additional training and undertaking other qualifications to progress into accountancy roles including accountancy technician, advanced accountancy technician and other related roles through to becoming a Chartered Accountant
- Direct employment with an accountancy employer or in a related industry such as Business and Finance.
- Study at College or University.
- Location: City of Glasgow College, City Campus & Glasgow Clyde College, Langside Campus
- Duration: * Two years (August-June)
- Attendance: Year 1: Tuesday & Thursday (1:30pm-4:30pm) at College plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
- Year 2: Thursday (9:30am-4:30pm) split between Work Placement and College plus first week in June if required (Mon-Fri, 9:30am-4:30pm)
* Pupils do not attend College/Work Placement during SQA exam schedule
How do I apply?
To apply for a Foundation Apprenticeship place, you should complete the online application form on www.fapglasgow.scot. You will be asked to indicate the subjects you are studying with anticipated grades across S4/S5/S6 together with a short personal statement on why you are interested in applying. A representative of your school will also be required to complete a short reference and verify your details before submission.
To download this guide, click here.